Friday 31 January 2014

Interview: Pretty Addicted

The Dark Domain caught up with Vicious from "goth rave" band Pretty Addicted. Since forming in 2011 they've taken the alternative scene by storm. Album number two is in progress and set for release in July, promising to be even bigger and better than the first.


1. How did you first get into music and how did Pretty Addicted start?
I've been a music fan since I can remember so I've always been "into" music but Pretty Addicted was born in November 2011. It started when I met former member Ben online, we were both in other bands and decided to start something up together. Was originally not meant to be anything huge but once we started creating and writing I just knew that was it- I wanted to do this forever, this was the outlet my life was meant to utilise.

2. Why the name “Pretty Addicted”? 
You know, I'm pretty sure it was a drug reference but I don't fully remember how the name came about. I know one of us came up with it randomly while getting fucked up making a track, haha.

3. Why the label “goth rave”? 
Because to be honest we don't fit into any one genre and since we're goths making dance music to rave to the name sort of makes sense for what we're about. Doesn't neccessarily mean much because like I say we don't really fit into one category of music
4. Musically, who are your main influences? 
Marilyn Manson and The Prodigy, definitely.

5. If you could be in any band or collaborate with any artist, which would it be and why? 
I would be in my own band obviously! Haha that's a mad question. To collab with, the same as above; Manson or The Prodigy. It would be an absolute honour to collab with Manson!

6. What has been the highlight of your musical career so far and what are your goals for the future? 
The highlight is yet to come; we had a shaky start, arguments in the band, lack of passion on Ben's side which eventually led to his departing of the band. I then have spent the last 6 months transitioning from a duo to a solo project. Now, after all that craziness, I have all my ducks in a row and the band is in SUCH a good place. I'm currently making the second album and it's going so well so I feel the highlight will come with this upcoming album! I'm so optimistic for the future of Pretty Addicted; I'm going after success like you wouldn't believe. Doing this on my own now has given me the freedom and power to make this band what I always meant it to be and I have drive that can't be stopped!


7. How is the recording of the second album going? What can we expect? 
It's going GREAT! Inm working with A.B (a brilliant music engineer) and we already have 2 songs down. You can expect Pretty Addicted to be more structured as a sound; the last album - being our first and with varying musical opinions in the band- was a little messy and lacking a certain structure so you can expect these tracks on this upcoming album to merge better together as a whole product. Music wise, like I said before, there is no genre so it's just all about mixing all the genres together. You can basically expect a much better product; better produced, better vocally; a little more grown up perhaps too.

8. Where do you get your ideas/inspiration? 
All the chaos in my crazy head. Haha no really that's completely true; I have an incredibly overative brain, I'm always 'thinking' so I'm never short of ideas.

9. Looking forward to your show at Electrowerkz? 
Any other upcoming live plans? Yes, I'm currently trying to put a UK tour together for right after I release the album (aiming for a July release) so watch this space!
10. What would be your dream venue to play at? 
Oh man. Somewhere utterly insane like Creamfields festival. Could you imagine?!!

11. If you could be an animal which would you be and why? 
I'd be my cat. She has the best life; she gets cuddled and petted constantly, she sleeps round the clock, sits around licking her own asshole and eats off my plate. What a life man, haha.


12. If you were a drug which would it be? 
I think I'm definitely like MDMA already, haha.

13. If you were a household item which would you be and why? 
My bed. I love that bastard, haha.

14. Do you think there is other life in the universe? 
Erm, I rarely give this thought. There might be, but I don't care enough to find out. I'm not really into sciency things; not because I don't want to be, I'm just not good at it so it just baffles me. I leave it to people who are good at it.

15. What about life after death? 
Absolutely. I know it exists.

16. Thanks for taking the time to look at these questions. Is there anything else you'd like to say? 
No worries man! Happy to do it! Anything to add? Always be yourself, never give a fuck what anyone else thinks, look after yourself, remember that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and also that the things you think won't kill you CAN so be careful. Oh and buy our next album when it comes out, that shit's gonna be brutal.